Flooding can be caused by weather, burst pipes, or clogged plumbing. Like water from an overflowing toilet, flood water often contains raw sewage, chemical waste, and many types of infectious microbes. Professional water damage repair services can prevent permanent structural damage to your home, as well as the growth of potentially deadly molds and illness-causing bacteria. The quick-response experts at Layton Utah Flood Damage Restoration and Repair Services have the trained personnel, tools, and equipment to do everything it takes to give your home a clean bill of health after flooding.
Causes of Flood Damage — Mother Nature and Human Nature
Nature is one of the most common causes of flood damage. Heavy rains and flash flooding are often responsible for water damage suffered by homeowners. In 2005, the insurance industry reported economic losses in excess of $150 million dollars due to flood damage. In 2013, record-breaking cold resulted in a record number of broken pipes all over the state. Protecting pipes with inexpensive insulation is one of the best preventative measures homeowners can take to avoid water damage caused by nature.
Human nature is another common cause of flooding. Anyone with a toddler can tell you that a toilet clogged by a favorite stuffed animal that “needed a bath” or a tap left running after a hand washing can result in a flooded bathroom in a matter of minutes. Neglected and clogged rain gutters that people plan to clean out “one of these days” are often the cause of flooded basements. Faulty appliances like refrigerators, washing machines and dishwashers have also caused flooding. Cleaning gutters and storm drains regularly and keeping appliances in good repair are good ways to reduce the likelihood of flooding.
Steps to Take if Your Home Has Been Flooded
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are some safety precautions you should take in the event that your home has been flooded.
- If it is safe to do so, turn off the electrical power at a main switch. Electrocution is one of the greatest dangers associated with flooding. If the flooding is severe, experts recommend calling the utility company to completely shut off power before entering the home.
- Check for structural damage before entering the house, since flooding can weaken walls and other structural supports.
- Contact your insurance company about hiring a professional flood cleanup company. Mold can begin growing within the first 24 hours of flooding. Many molds cause allergic reactions like asthma, sinus congestion, and irritate the eyes, nose, and throat. Mold spores can also result in fungal infections within the body. Black mold is toxic, and some types produce mycotoxins that can be deadly.
- Do not operate your home heating, ventilating and air conditioning system until it has been checked by a professional. If the system has been flooded, it may be contaminated with mold, and using it could spread mold throughout the house.
- If the water supply has been affected, boil drinking water and water used for food preparation until authorities have restored water quality.
Why Use Utah Flood Cleanup For Your Flood Damage Restoration
Most of us are fortunate to have friends willing to help during an emergency. However, with less than 24 hours’ notice, it would be nearly impossible to gather enough friends to perform all the steps necessary to preserve your valuable belongings and prevent costly structural damage to your home using the right equipment, the trained experts at Layton Utah Flood Damage Restoration and Repair Services can simultaneously pump out excess water from floors, carpets and furniture, dehumidify, check for hidden leaks, kill any mold detected, and prevent secondary water damage. Whether your flooding was caused by mother nature or human nature, contact us here, or give us a call at (801) 416-2666 for a free consultation.
You can download a PDF of this page here.
Additional Layton, Utah Damage Restoration Services
- Layton UT Water Damage Repair & Restoration
- Layton UT Fire Damage Restoration & Repair Services
- Layton UT Mold Removal & Remediation Services
- Layton UT Flood Damage Restoration & Repair Services
- Layton UT Sewage Cleanup & Removal Services
- Layton UT Drain Backup & Drain Cleaning Services
- Layton UT Biohazard & Crime Scene Cleanup
- Layton UT Air Duct Cleaning Services
- Layton UT Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning