How To Avoid 4th of July Fires
The Fourth of July is a great time to get together with friends and family, enjoy some good food and fireworks, and celebrate our great nation. Unfortunately, it’s also the one day out of the year when the most fires are reported, according to the NFPA. With 2 out of 5 of every reported fires being firework related, it’s important to know a few firework safety tips to keep you and your family safe this holiday, and know who to call and what to do in the event that a fire is started on your property.
Avoiding Fire and Injury
- Pay Attention to the Wind
Before lighting fireworks, make sure that the wind is blowing away from onlookers. If there is too much wind, or too many direction changes, stop using fireworks immediately.
- Don’t Drink and Light Fireworks
There are many things that alcohol should not be mixed with, and lighting fireworks is definitely one of them. Mixing these two increases your chances at handling fireworks inappropriately, causing harm to yourself, people, and property around you.
- Only Light One at a Time
Some fireworks, when lit together, cause a large and uncontrollable flare. This is the case with fireworks such as sparklers. It’s always better to be safe than sorry and just light one at a time.
- Do Not Allow Children to Handle Fireworks
Fireworks may be a ton of fun, but they still pose risks and should be left to adults who are responsible and sober. Never allow children to handle fireworks-they can enjoy the show from the sidelines.
- Keep Water Close By
Keeping a hose, bucket, or fire extinguisher nearby is extremely important when lighting fireworks. There should also be a designated person in your group to act as the fireman, whose job is to keep a careful eye out for any fires and be able to respond immediately with water or an extinguisher.
- Fireworks Are Not Weapons
Be smart with fireworks and don’t use them as weapons. Make sure you never point fireworks at any person, animal, or property.
- Use Common Sense
Many accidents can be prevented if good judgment and common sense are used when lighting fireworks. Make sure to read all labels, warnings and directions,
and follow all of the laws in your area to prevent harm. In addition, never light fireworks that require a license unless you have the proper licensing to do so.
What to Do if There is a Fireworks-Related Fire
In the event that your property is damaged due to a fire, it’s important to call Utah Flood Cleanup right away to help remedy fire and smoke damage. While you wait for our arrival, you should avoid the area that the fire occurred in. If you can safely do so, make sure to unplug any and all electrical devices in the home. Finally, if the fire was damaging enough that you can’t stay on your property, gather a few important belongings and find a place to stay until cleanup is complete.
Once we arrive, we use powerful air fresheners to rid your home of any lingering smoke odors. Suction tools are then employed to get rid of any soot on the walls and furniture and we have various tools to make sure that any soot is removed from the area without further damage. Finally, a sealant to protect surfaces damaged by fire will be applied.
The damage left behind after a fire is devastating. It can damage the structure of your home, leave soot behind, and contaminate your entire home with overpowering smoke odor. Calling a professional company who has experience in cleaning up these kinds of serious messes is important to protecting your home and assessing any further damage.
Smoke and Fire Damage Restoration in Utah
We provide quality smoke and fire cleanup services which include damage assessment, help with insurance information, and deciding which contents of your home can be restored or need to be thrown away. We also provide additional services, such as water damage repair, mold removal, air duct cleaning, dryer vent cleaning, and more. If you plan on lighting fireworks this year, please do so safely and responsibly. If the worst should happen, please don’t hesitate to contact us here, or call 801-416-2666 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and let us help you restore your home.